Local Musicians Including bands and singers performing live music in Gloucestershire. This section includes details of local musicians and bands that we feature. This is also home to my local live music guide. There are many shops for instruments, records and other media in the towns of the county for you to peruse. If you wish to learn to play an instrument or enhance your skills, the county has some great tutors.
Music Venues in Gloucestershire
The key venues in Gloucestershire including those in Cheltenham, Gloucester, Tewkesbury, Stroud, The Cotswolds and also The Forest of Dean.
- Gloucester Guildhall, a venue in Eastgate street with many options for live gigs. They also do lots of other performing arts events in the Guildhall.
- Subscription Rooms, Stroud.
- Peppers Gloucester, The cafe hosts live music including for the blues festivals and the hat festival. Peppers regular hold gigs on alternate Friday evenings where you can enjoy the entertainment. You can also enjoy this with wonderful food and a pleasant drink.
- Roses Theatre, Tewkesbury
- Cafe Rene in Gloucester host a variety of live gigs in its bar and basement. The venue also hosts a few festivals in its grounds.
- The Everyman Theatre in Cheltenham is the county’s premier theatre for performing arts. However, they also do some top-notch classical concerts.
Gloucestershire Musicians & Bands
Some musicians, singers and bands from Gloucestershire.
Christina is a singer/songwriter, dancer & performer. @ChrissyOCarroll
Emi McDade Singer-Song Writer
Emi McDade is a singer-songwriter from Gloucestershire. She fits into the following music genres: Acoustic, pop, folk & singer-songwriter. Emi has recently released her first single, ‘Through My Eyes’ that is available on iTunes.
Hattie is a singer-songwriter in the folk, pop and also acoustic genres. She was one of four nominees for BBC Radio 2 Young Folk Award 2014. www.hattiebriggs.co.uk
There are a few venues to enjoy listening to classical music in Gloucestershire. There are periodic concerts in Gloucester, Cheltenham, The Cotswolds and The Forest of Dean. Performances include bands, orchestras, soloists, choirs and also other performers playing music in the county.
Popular Classical Composers
This genre includes pieces from the following composers and more.
- Beethoven, A German composer and pianist. He was a crucial figure in the transition between the Classical and Romantic eras of classical music. However, he is most famous for his symphonies.
- Bach, A German composer and musician of the Baroque period. Bach is known for instrumental compositions such as the Brandenburg Concerto.
- Mozart, Famous for many pieces of music including The Marriage of Figaro. He also composed many symphonies and concertos.
- Tchaikovsky – Created the popular 1812 overture and many other iconic pieces.
- Handel – Composer of “The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba” and Messiah.
- Chopin – His major piano works also include mazurkas, waltzes, nocturnes, polonaises, etudes, impromptus, scherzos, preludes and sonatas.
- Vivaldi – His most famous is The Four Seasons.
Local Concerts & Groups
Churchdown Male Voice Choir
They formed Churchdown Male Voice Choir in 1965 in Churchdown, Gloucester. The 70 strong choir takes its members from all over the county. In the last few years, the choir has had the great privilege of appearing with orchestras, choirs, brass and military bands.